Re: [FWP] words words words

On 19 May 2000, at 17:24, Philip Newton wrote:

> Bernie Cosell wrote:
> > On 19 May 2000, at 9:17, tayers@bridge.com wrote:
> >
> > Dumb question [as I try to puzzle out how/if this works].  Is this a
> > typo:
> >
> > >     @t{@t} = (1) x @t;
> >       ^
> >        '%' here, perhaps??
>
> No, '@'. It's a hash slice....

A brief note in my own defense, lest I get drummed off of FWP: I
understand hash slices just fine.  What I don't understand/remember [and
I suspect never will] is Perl's baroque (and irregular to my eye) syntax.
Somehow an array-indicator with curly-braces *clanked* on my eye, and my
[erring] intuition thought it should be a hash-indicator there...

Since I've betrayed my ignorance, I'll push my luck: is there any other
context in Perl in which "@X" refers to the _hash_ named X rather than
the array named X?

  /Bernie\
mailto:bernie@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA