Re: [MacPerl] Compressing output files

At 16.48 1998.05.06, Matt Morse wrote:
>The MacPerl app I'm working on generates raw reports that have to be sent to a
>central location for processing. These reports can contain one or more HTML
>files and supporting image files, so I'd like to create a Stuffit-like archive
>to be attached to the email message.  Any clues how to go about doing this?
>
>I'd like to archive and compress the files using Perl modules rather than by
>sending AppleEvents to another app like Stuffit, since I can't be sure every
>client machine will have Stuffit (or the like).

No, you can't.  Stuffit uses a proprietary algorithm.  I cannot think of
any module that lets you compress, except for Compress::Zlib, which is not
quite working with MacPerl yet.

There was only one problem, the gzdopen function:

> - gzdopen is not supported on RISCOS, BEOS and Mac

Actually, now that I look back, there are some other problems, too.  This
problem just menas you can't pass a filehandle reference to gzopen, just a
path.  But there is some more hidden ugliness I have too look at; it
doesn't seem to like taking a path, either.  Hm.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
MacPerl: Power and Ease (ISBN 1881957322), http://www.ptf.com/macperl/