[MacPerl] WebStar CGI Help Request, 05.18.98.

Hello,
	I'm interested in developing a CGI to support navigation on a web
site I am working with.  Rather than be dealing with icons or text links to
the various sections/pages of the web site, I'd like to provide the
sections in a pull down menu ( <FORM>, <SELECT>, etc.)

	The way I see it, it will work in the following way: Selecting a
<OPTION VALUE> from the pull-down list posts the request to the server, and
the server resonds with the correct URL of the page to navigate to, and
instructs the client browser to do so.  You've probably seen this done on
lots of sites, and one good example is the Apple support home page:
http://www.apple.com/support/ .

	I've not worked with any CGI development and am trying to find out
the best way to proceed.  Other facts: the webserver is a PCI PowerMac
running WebSTAR 2, and I have the option of going to WebStar 3 if needed.

	My questions are the following:

	1) What language will be the best for development of this CGI?
AppleScript, MacPerl, Java, C, C++?  (I've written some Apple scripts, but
don't have much programming experience.)  Please consider that I'd like the
best performance possible from the navigation CGI.

	1a) If Apple script is a real option for writing this CGI, will I
be able to or need to deal with making the CGI operate asynchronously for
the best performance?

	2) Does anyone know of any CGI scripts already written in the
shareware/freeware or otherwise domain that will accomplish what I'd like
to do?  (I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel :)

	3) By what mechanism does the browser actually respond to the CGI
and load the requested page?  Is the correct page simply sent to the client
because the CGI instructs WebSTAR to download the page to the clients IP?

	Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance for your time and
consideration,

		J. Wagener