Re: [MacPerl] Net FTP

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 10:28:32AM -0500, Chris Nandor wrote:
} At 09.29 -0500 1998.05.19, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
} >The workaround is to use ->size to ask the size of the file on the
} >remote.  If it doesn't match the local size, assume something went
} >wrong.  But not all servers support the underlying FTP command that
} >size uses.
}
} Another workaround is to use Mac::Apps::Anarchie (which works with Fetch
} and Anarchie).  I normally would not recommend it over Net::FTP, but it is
} an alternative.

Yes, good point, and probably the only reliable alternative at this
time.  There's something subtle going on in the layers between Perl
and Open Transport and the interaction of that with external FTP
servers, but it's not reliably reproducable, in that you'll get
different amounts through with each try, and sometimes even succeed.
It seems to even depend on time dependent things like network load
(Sunday morning is usually a good time to Net::FTP from MacPerl.)  My
rules of thumb are basically that to Solaris it can't be trusted at
all, while to SunOS files less that 100k are usually a good bet to
make it through.  I haven't tried much with other types of servers.

If you turn on Net::FTP debugging, ($ftp = Net::FTP->new($host, Debug
=>1)), almost certainly you'll find that it's failing with a
"Connection reset by peer" error.  This seems to be a generic "the
remote has dumped the connection for some unknown reason".

}
} --
} Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
} %PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])
} Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first
} instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she
} fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
}                 --Jack Handey
}
---
Paul Schinder