Re: [MacPerl] Mac File 'GetInfo' Size Descrepancies

[snip]

>a. Whats the significance of the two numbers? and

The size on disk is rounded up to the block size of the filesystem. If you
have a cluster size of 2K, then even a 1 byte file takes 2K.

>b. Why is it that if the same file is copied to/from a floppy and a hard
>disk, the values shown for 'on disk' will be different on the floppy
>than will be shown for the hard disk?

The cluster size is different, usually smaller, for smaller filesystems. A
floppy has fewer and smaller clusters than your hard drive, therefore, the
on disk size will be smaller.

I'm not at my Mac right now, so I can't give examples of my settings. I also
can't speak about 8.1/HFS+.

-Mark