Re: [MacPerl] Mac File 'GetInfo' Size Descrepancies

At 09:05 -0700 98/05/26, Greg Aiken wrote:
> I'm unclear why in Mac OS, if one selects a file, then chooses 'File/Get
> Info', the file size is shown as two distinct fields (xk on disk, y
> bytes).

Simply put, HFS increases the size of the file allocation block as the size
of the filesystem increases.  So files take up more space on larger
filesystems.  In case anyone is interested, I can send you the table of
volume size vs. allocation block size (32 MB filesystem: 512 byte
allocation block ... 1 GB filesystem: 16384 byte allocation block).

As Chris says, HFS+ addresses this deficiency ;-)

Vicki
---
Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066